Does Medical Marijuana Help With Panic Attacks
Its not the marijuana that is causing the anxiety. There is something going on in your life that is messing with you. You need to figure it out. And deal with whatever it is. That will stop your panic attacks. In the meantime, stop using marijuana! If you think you will have a problem if you smoke marijuana, then you probably will. If you still get a panic attack, then it is not the marijuana.
Try using a whole plant extract and make yourself a tincture. Use an indica x hybrid. A drop under the tongue is the best way to administer the tincture. If you make your own medicine, you will know about the quality of the product. Use the highest proof alcohol you can get: Everclear or 151 Rum are two good choices.
US Institute of MedicineThe high associated with marijuana is not generally claimed to be integral to its therapeutic value. But mood enhancement, anxiety reduction, and mild sedation can be desirable qualities in medications particularly for patients suffering pain and anxiety. Thus, although the psychological effects of marijuana are merely side effects in the treatment of some symptoms, they might contribute directly to relief of other symptoms.
Modified according to: Marsicano G, et al. The endogenous cannabinoid system controls extinction of aversive memories. Nature 2002 418:530-534.
Breathing Exercise For Panic Attacks
If youre breathing quickly during a panic attack, doing a breathing exercise can ease your other symptoms. Try this:
- breathe in as slowly, deeply and gently as you can, through your nose
- breathe out slowly, deeply and gently through your mouth
- some people find it helpful to count steadily from one to five on each in-breath and each out-breath
- close your eyes and focus on your breathing
You should start to feel better in a few minutes. You may feel tired afterwards.
What Questions Should I Ask My Doctor
If you have panic attacks, you may want to ask your healthcare provider:
- Why am I having panic attacks?
- What is the best treatment for panic attacks?
- How long will I need therapy?
- How long do I need to take medications?
- Should I look out for medication side effects?
A note from Cleveland Clinic
Panic attacks can be extremely uncomfortable. Although theyre not physically harmful, they can take a toll on your mental health and stop you from doing the things you love. Dont be embarrassed to tell your healthcare provider that you have panic attacks. Your provider can help you overcome fears and anxieties that trigger attacks. You can get better with treatments like psychotherapy and medications.
Last reviewed by a Cleveland Clinic medical professional on 08/12/2020.
Read Also: How To Deal With Anxiety At Work
What Is A Phobia
A phobia is an extreme, unreasonable fear in response to something specific. There are lots of different phobias. Some of the most common phobias include fear of crowds, bridges, snakes, spiders, heights, open places, or social embarrassment.
A phobia is considered a problem only when it keeps you from living a normal life. An example is being afraid to leave home because you are afraid of one of the things listed above.
Expose Yourself To Things You Fear
Do this gradually. Write a list of things you avoid because of your anxiety and start to slowly reintroduce these activities into your life. Be kind to yourself and set achievable goals. Start with the things you feel least anxious about and move up the stepladder over time to face some of the things you feel more anxious about. Reward yourself for success even if it didnt go as well as you had hoped. For example, a person who is afraid of driving because of their anxiety may set a goal to be able to drive to an unknown suburb 20 km away. They might start with short trips in familiar areas and gradually increase the distance from home and explore unknown places.It’s important to feel some anxiety during the exposure exercises and to stay with the anxiety until it reduces.If after trying this for a few weeks, if you are still experiencing panic attacks and/or avoiding situations, see your family doctor for referral to a psychologist.
Read Also: Does Anxiety Make Your Heart Race
What Is A Home Remedy
Any treatment that you can perform from the comfort of your own home can be seen as a home remedy for anxiety. Herbal supplements are an example of a common home remedy. People seeking to treat their anxiety may use herbs such as:
- Valerian Root3
These are believed to be somewhat effective at reducing anxiety in certain cases – more than any other type of natural supplement. In addition, there are many vitamins that are also highly beneficial for anxiety. Magnesium is perhaps the most valuable, 25% of the country is magnesium deficient and that deficiency may cause anxiety and anxiety symptoms . Vitamin B12 and Vitamin B1 may also be valuable according to some nutritionists. You can add these vitamins in food or in supplement form. In the rest of this article, however, we’ll look at behavior-based remedies for coping with anxiety.
Are Anxiety Supplements Safe For Everyone
While these supplements are generally safe, there are some groups that may be at higher risk for side-effects or other concerns:
Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding: It is best to avoid these supplements since we do not have enough safety studies for these critical periods of early development.
Infants and young children: They should only take supplements under the supervision of a licensed medical professional.
Those on prescription medications: Before starting any supplements, consult with your doctor to make sure that there are no harmful interactions.
Those with chronic medical conditions: For conditions that affect liver and kidney function, consult with your doctor before starting any supplements.
Read Also: Why Do People Get Anxiety Attacks
Growth Of White Widow
White Widow thrives in both indoor and outdoor environments. They grow into short plants with green leaves. At maturity, you notice white crystal covered buds. On average, it takes about 56-63 days for full-grown flowers to be ready for harvest.
At the end of these 63 days, your plants will be relatively rich in terpenes and cannabinoids. And since it does not need a controlled climate to grow, it makes for a perfect species to try out as a beginner marijuana farmer.
For an outdoor farmer, you can expect to start harvesting your marijuana from late September to mid-October when growing in mild temperate conditions.
Dont Miss: What Is The Origin Of Phobia
Always Seek Professional Advice
Always seek medical advice if you are not sure whether your symptoms, or another persons symptoms, indicate a panic attack. In an emergency, dial triple zero for an ambulance. Its important to see your doctor for a check-up to make sure that any recurring physical panic-like symptoms are not due to illnesses, including:
Read Also: Can Anxiety Cause Shortness Of Breath
Don’t Miss: What Are The Side Effects Of Anxiety
Other Natural Remedies For Panic Anxiety Anxiety And Depression
Serotonin deficiency and vitamin/mineral deficiencies are not the only causes of altered mood. For example, dopamine is another neurotransmitter that actually serves to stimulate the brain. Before taking anxiety supplements, it is important to learn the true underlying cause of your depression, anxiety and panic attacks.
* If you are taking any prescription medications, do not begin a supplement regimen without talking with your doctor.
This post originally appeared in 2013 and is regularly updated.
Make These Foods A Part Of Your Anti
You might be surprised to learn that specific foods have been shown to reduce anxiety.
- In mice, diets low in were found to increase anxiety-related behaviors. Foods naturally rich in magnesium may, therefore, help a person to feel calmer. Examples include leafy greens, such as spinach and Swiss chard. Other include legumes, nuts, seeds, and whole grains.
- Foods rich in such as oysters, cashews, liver, beef, and egg yolks have been linked to lowered anxiety.
- Other foods, including fatty fish like wild Alaskan salmon, contain omega-3 fatty acids. A completed on medical students in 2011 was one of the first to show that omega-3s may help reduce anxiety. . Prior to the study, omega-3 fatty acids had been linked to improving depression only.
- A study in the journal Psychiatry Research suggested a link between probiotic foods and a lowering of social anxiety. Eating probiotic-rich foods such as pickles, sauerkraut, and kefir was linked with fewer symptoms.
- , known widely to be a healthy vegetable. Based on research, the Chinese government approved the use of an asparagus extract as a natural functional food and beverage ingredient due to its anti-anxiety properties.
- Foods rich in B vitamins, such as avocado and almonds
- These feel good foods spur the release of neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine. They are a safe and easy first step in managing anxiety.
Don’t Miss: Can A Regular Doctor Prescribe Anxiety Medication
Etiology / Causes And Risk Factors Of Panic Disorder
Panic disorder is thought to have a psychobiological conceptualization . This does not mean that panic attacks are due to a biological disease. What this does mean is that there are certain biological factors that may be inherited or passed on through genes, and thus may lead some people to be more likely than others to experience panic disorder symptoms. This is likely why panic disorder seems to run in families. In other words, if one family member has panic disorder, the other family members are more likely to experience panic symptoms or panic disorder compared to people without a family history of panic disorder. It is very important to note that just inheriting these vulnerabilities to panic does not make the onset of panic attacks inevitable or unalterable. In fact, it is possible to think and act in ways that prevent panic attacks.
Treatment Of Anxiety And Panic
There is plenty that can be done for people who have problems with anxiety and panic.
Treatment can include:
- cutting back on alcohol, cigarettes and drugs
- distracting yourself with mental activities, like counting
- slow breathing, which can be supported by using mobile apps such as Breathe
- psychological therapies, such as cognitive behavioural therapy
Getting professional support is always a good idea. Its important to find the right health professional for you. And there are plenty of online self-help programs, support and ways to get therapy, too.
Don’t Miss: Is St John’s Wort Good For Anxiety
What Happens During A Panic Attack
Panic attacks are associated with physical symptoms that include:
- Shaking or trembling
- Feeling that your heart is pounding or racing
- Feeling that you are choking
- Tingling or numbness in your hands, arms, feet or legs
- Chills or hot flashes
- Sense of unreality or dreamlike sensations
A person may also have an extreme fear of losing control, going crazy, or dying during a panic attack. It is very rare for a person to have all of these symptoms at once. However, the presence of at least 4 symptoms strongly suggests that a person has panic disorder.
Many of the symptoms that occur during a panic attack are the same as the symptoms of diseases of the heart, lungs, intestines, or nervous system. The similarities between panic disorder and other diseases may add to the persons fear and anxiety during and after a panic attack. For example, you may believe that you are actually having a heart attack.
Just the fear of having a panic attack is often enough to trigger the symptoms. This is the basis for a condition called agoraphobia. A person who has agoraphobia finds it difficult to leave home because he or she is afraid of having a panic attack in public or not having an easy way to escape if the symptoms start.
When Someone Is Having A Panic Attack
Below are some tips for you or your loved one to consider during a panic attack:
- Anxiety cannot increase forever and you cannot experience peak levels of anxiety forever. Physiologically there is a point at which our anxiety cannot become any higher and our bodies will not maintain that peak level of anxiety indefinitely. At that point, there is nowhere for anxiety to go but down. It is uncomfortable to reach that peak but it is important to remember this anxiety will even out and then go down with time.
- Emotions are like a wave, they will come and they will go.
- You have experienced this before, you know what to expect, and you will be able to handle it.
- Avoidance is anxiety’s best friend. Avoidance now will mean sustained anxiety in the future.
The following websites and brochures provide useful information for helping and supporting loved ones with panic disorder:
Also Check: How To Control Stress And Anxiety
Flow Of Included Studies
Electronic searches found 106 papers that were potentially relevant to the present systematic review. Of these, 24 met the inclusion/exclusion criteria . Of the 82 that did not meet the criteria, 21 were excluded from the main review because they were not original research or were case studies, 14 did not investigate the supplement as a treatment , 32 did not use human subjects, and 15 were published in a language other than English. Some of the excluded papers listed as reviews are cited in the background and discussion sections of this manuscript. Papers that were mainly discussions of philosophical and ethical issues were not reviewed at all.
Flow diagram of included studies.
Antidepressant Medications For Panic Disorder
When first introduced in the 1950s, antidepressants were primarily used to treat mood disorders. However, it was later discovered that these medications effectively help reduce anxiety, lessen the symptoms of panic, and decrease the intensity and frequency of panic attacks.
Antidepressant medications are now commonly used to treat many anxiety disorders, including panic disorder and agoraphobia.
Antidepressants affect the chemical messengers in the brain, known as neurotransmitters. There are thought to be many different types of these chemical messengers that communicate between brain cells.
Recommended Reading: How Does An Anxiety Attack Feel
Preventing A Further Attack
It may help to:
- read a self-help book for anxiety based on the principles of cognitive behavioural therapy ask your GP to recommend one
- try complementary therapies such as massage and aromatherapy, or activities like yoga and pilates, to help you relax
- learn breathing techniques to help ease symptoms
- do regular physical exercise to reduce stress and tension
- avoid sugary food and drinks, caffeine and alcohol, and stop smoking, as all they can all make attacks worse
For more help, read how to deal with panic attacks.
What Are The Complications Of Panic Attacks
Panic attacks are highly treatable. Unfortunately, many people put off seeking help because theyre embarrassed. Untreated panic attacks or panic disorder can interfere with your ability to enjoy life. You may develop:
- Anticipatory anxiety: The possibility of having a panic attack triggers extreme anxiety.
- Phobias: A phobia is an extreme, unreasonable fear of something specific. For instance, acrophobia is a fear of heights, while claustrophobia is a fear of enclosed spaces.
- Agoraphobia: Approximately two-thirds of people with panic disorder develop agoraphobia. This anxiety disorder makes you afraid to be in places or situations where a panic attack might happen. The fear can become so extreme that you become too afraid to leave your house.
Also Check: How To Combat Depression And Anxiety
Who Gets Panic Attacks
At least 6 million Americans suffer from panic attacks and both conditions classified as anxiety disorders. According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America , about 2-3% of Americans experience panic disorder in a given year and it is twice as common in women as in men. Panic disorder typically affects individuals when theyre in their 20s but is also seen in young children, adolescents, and older adults.
Controlling Anxiety With Food
All of the above foods are beneficial for dealing with your anxiety. They provide vitamins and nutrients that are known to calm the mind and body while also increasing energy and stabilizing your mood. Combine those foods with a balanced diet that is free of fried foods and harmful ingredients and you should see a marked difference in your anxiety levels.
Still, it’s important to remember that understanding your anxiety is still step one. I’ve helped thousands of people learn to deal with their anxiety and I always recommend they start with my anxiety test I created specifically to provide a snapshot of your current anxiety. This test will help you:
- Find out what symptoms you experience are caused by anxiety .
- Understand the core components of your anxiety experience .
- Provide the next steps for overcoming anxiety.
Foods for anxiety are a great first step, but they’re only a first step. Take my anxiety test, and learn what it takes to cure anxiety once and for all.
Was this article helpful?
Also Check: How Do I Stop Anxiety
Can Anxiety Disorders Be Prevented
You cant prevent anxiety disorders. But you can take steps to control or reduce your symptoms:
- Check out medications: Talk to a healthcare provider or pharmacist before taking over-the-counter medications or herbal remedies. Some of these contain chemicals that may make anxiety symptoms worse.
- Limit caffeine: Stop or limit how much caffeine you consume, including coffee, tea, cola and chocolate.
- Live a healthy lifestyle: Exercise regularly and eat a healthy, balanced diet.
- Seek help: Get counseling and support if you experienced a traumatic or disturbing event. Doing so can help prevent anxiety and other unpleasant feelings from disrupting your life.
Read Also: How To Deal With Anxiety
Use Muscle Relaxation Techniques
Muscle tension is a symptom of anxiety, and muscle relaxation techniques can help reduce tension and promote relaxation during an attack. Progressive muscle relaxation aims to release tension in one group of muscles at a time to relax the whole body.
Much like deep breathing, muscle relaxation techniques can help stop your panic attack in its tracks by controlling your bodys response as much as possible.
If you attend muscle relaxation therapy, your therapist might take you through the following
- First, you may learn how to tense the muscles before releasing the tension.
- Then, you will learn how to relax the muscles without tensing them first.
- You may also learn how to relax specific sets of muscles, for example, in the shoulders, for practical use in everyday situations.
- Finally, you may learn how to practice rapid relaxation, when you can identify any areas of tension and release it as needed.
To start relaxing your muscles at home, consciously relax one muscle at a time, starting with something simple like the fingers in your hand, and move your way up through your body.
Muscle relaxation techniques will be most effective when youve practiced them beforehand.
Read Also: Does Zoloft Work For Anxiety